Owning and caring for a home is a big responsibility, but the right repair tools and maintenance tips allow for easy living. Smoothly navigate your home’s seasonal upkeep with our home maintenance checklist and expert advice.
Like a health physical, a home maintenance schedule is important for every home’s upkeep and well-being. Continuing to check up on your exterior, appliances, heating and cooling, plumbing, security, and electrical systems will help prevent breakdowns, save money, and keep your home looking its best. Use this home maintenance checklist to help schedule your seasonal updates, repairs, and cleaning, along with a handful of monthly tasks. If any of the jobs go beyond your skill level or lead to more involved repairs, hire a professional to help.
Monthly Home Improvements
Inspecting your home and completing monthly home improvement projects will keep your maintenance schedule on track and easier to manage. A comprehensive monthly home maintenance checklist is easy to implement, both in terms of time and money. Here is a list of basic monthly home improvements:
- Clean the furnace filter to remove dust build-ups, make it easier to regulate your home’s temperature, and ultimately decrease utility bills.
- Check the water softener and replenish salt if necessary.
- Clean faucet aerators and showerheads to remove mineral deposits.
- Inspect tub and sink drains for debris; unclog.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and all ground-fault circuit interrupters.
- Inspect electrical cords for wear.
- Vacuum heat registers and heat vents.
- Check that indoor and outdoor air vents are not blocked.
- Flush out hot water from the water heater to remove accumulated sediment.
- Clean the garbage disposal by grinding ice cubes, then flushing with hot water and baking soda.
Spring Maintenance Checklist
Once the ground has thawed and the trees begin to bud, it’s time to prepare your home for spring. On top of your regular spring cleaning, you’ll also want to consider these general home maintenance tips. Use our spring home maintenance checklist to make sure everything in your home from the basement to the roof is in tip-top shape.
- Inspect roofing for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks.
- Change the air-conditioner filter.
- Clean window and door screens.
- Polish wood furniture, and dust light fixtures.
- Refinish the deck.
- Power-wash windows and siding.
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have a professional inspect and pump the septic tank.
- Inspect sink, shower, and bath caulking for deterioration.
- Vacuum lint from dryer vent.
- Inspect chimney for damage.
- Repair or replace caulking and weather stripping around windows, doors, and mechanicals.
- Remove insulation from outdoor faucets and check sprinkler heads.
- Have air-conditioning system serviced.
- Drain or flush water heater.
- Fertilize your lawn.